The cabbage has a reputation for being difficult to digest, not very healthy and common vegetable with bad taste. Undeservedly. This image is influenced by traditional additions, these pork knuckles, bacon and sausages. Through them, cabbage dishes are calorie and hard to digest. And yet the healing properties of cabbage have been known for years. Relatives of cabbage are broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi, kale and Brussels sprouts. How to cook cabbage?
How to cook cabbage?
Cabbage is best cooked in lightly salted water with the addition of peppercorns and bay leaves. In addition, it is worth knowing that before cooking sauerkraut, you should pour it with water and strain. If the cabbage has a strong aftertaste of salt, it is also good to repeat this process once more while cooking.
We cook red cabbage for about half an hour, while white cabbage 35 minutes. We cook young cabbage for about 25 minutes.
Boiled white cabbage – recipe
- 1/2 head of larger white cabbage
- 1 onion
- 0.5 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- spices: salt, pepper, Herbes de Provence
- 1/2 cubes of margarine for frying onions
- Chop the cabbage. (First cut it in half and then in half, then slice it). Pour shredded cabbage into a pot, pour water (up to its height), salt and cook.
- Peel onion, cut into cubes. Fry in fat.
- When the cabbage is tender, strain (leave a little water at the bottom), add the browned onion with fat and season to taste with vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, Herbes de Provence and mix well. Cover and set aside to let her rest.
Fried cabbage with bacon
- 1 head of young green cabbage
- salt and pepper
- about 3/4 – 1 cup water or broth, broth
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup, honey or brown sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 140 g steamed bacon (can be packaged, cut into slices)
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- bunch of dill
Cut the cabbage into 4 parts and then rinse and chop into half-centimeter strips. Put in a pot, season with salt and pepper, add water, maple syrup (fashion or sugar) and boil. Cook covered for about 7-10 minutes, in the meantime mix 2-3 times. At the end, add lemon juice.
In the meantime, fry the cubed bacon in the pan (about 5 minutes), at the end of frying add a tablespoon of butter.
Add flour to the bacon and fry for about a minute. Gradually pour in water from the cabbage, stirring until the flour dissolves. Transfer to a saucepan with sauerkraut, mix and boil.
Finally, add chopped dill (leave a tablespoon to the potatoes). Serve with new potatoes, sprinkling with dill.
Did you know that cabbage juice has healing properties?
Drinking it strengthens immunity, helps with anemia and swelling caused by excessive fluid retention. After three weeks of daily glasses of juice, the latter disappear without a trace. Cabbage juice is also a medicine for stomach ulcers, even recognized by medicine. In folk practice, compresses of juice or leaves are used for rheumatic and neurological pains and for the treatment of mornings and ulcers.